Subcribe to our RSS feeds Join Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Add to Circles

Saturday 12 July 2014

Cooking Big Prawn Noodles - 5 easy tips


Hi readers! Whenever the wet market opposite my place sells big prawns, I would want to cook Big Prawn Noodles Soup. My favourite version is still Adam Road Hawker's one. As I have mentioned, my cooking style is - Taste and Change until you like it so there are no fixed recipes but ...

My tips from my cooking experience are -


  1. This is not a difficult dish. You just need to start accumulating prawn heads and shells. After you have deshelled your prawns when you cooked fried rice or pasta, don't throw the shells away. Put them in a sealed bag and place in the freezer. Once you have accumulated a lot of shells, you are good to go for cooking prawn noodle soup.
  2. Thaw the shells (do we thaw shells or only meat?) and lightly fry them. Put them into a pot of water and boil with your pork ribs. I always use premium pork ribs. I do not use spare ribs because they are tough.
  3. Do not cook your yellow noodles in the same pot of soup. Yellow noodles have a disgusting yellow colour and smell when you boil them. You will destroy your broth. After cooking, run the noodles under running tap water. Do not over cook it. How do you know? Taste lah! :)
  4. If you are having guests and by the time they arrived, the oomph of the prawn broth is not up to standards, do not panic. Add in a very small amount of rock sugar. The balance of rock sugar and salt is up to your preference. 
  5. Add in fried shallots. (Easily available in NTUC)
Enjoy! 

No comments :